Regardless if it’s business or social, the things you do to make a good first impression are the same. Here are some tips to assist you in leaving a good impression every time you meet someone new. These tips can be utilized face-to-face, on the phone or over the internet.
- Maintain a neat appearance. Appearance plays a key role on first impressions.
- Practice good posture. Good posture will benefit your overall appearance.
- Practice a good hand shake. Your hand shake should be firm, but not too firm. Maintain eye contact while shaking hands.
- Smile. A smile really says a lot. It shows you’re friendly, approachable and interested.
- Maintain eye contact. This proves that you’re listening.
- Think positive thoughts. Negative thoughts will show in your facial expression.
- Ask questions. It shows you’re interested.
- Stay away from bragging and name-dropping. People don’t care who you know.
- Always use proper grammar. Avoid slang, speak clearly.
- Don’t over eat or drink. Don’t look like a glutton. If you become intoxicated, you may say something rude that you will regret. That would not be a good start to a new relationship.
- Relax and be yourself. People can usually tell when you’re trying to be someone you’re not.
It’s easier to build a relationship on a positive start rather than trying to recover it from a previous mistake.